Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The beginning of my blogging journey.

Well, if you are reading this, I hope that you are well, happy, and healthy! I am starting this blog as a sort of online diary for myself and others that may have to travel down the 'not-very-well-known' path of anencephaly. I am not a woman of fancy words or lingo, nor am I an accomplished author. This is just me, in my own words, in my own way. Take it or leave it, but hopefully take it. :)

We first learned of the term Anencephaly about two weeks ago (two weeks ago yesterday actually). Talk about heart-shattering! I was going in for a normal ultrasound, and all was normal until the tech told us that she was going to talk to the doctor because he would have some concerns. That's when I knew this pregnancy (unlike my first) was going to be everything but normal and boring.

My first pregnancy with my son, Colt, was BORRRING!! What I wouldn't give to have that again! We went for all of our normal doctors appointments, did all the normal tests, opted out for anything additional, had a normal vaginal delivery with an epidural, and everything was GREAT! I loved every second of that, except maybe the heartburn. :) I just wanted this one to be exactly the same... Well, it wasn't meant to be.

After the tech went to get the doctor, he came in and began to explain to us what was wrong. I was devastated, as was my husband. We were looking forward to having two kids (hopefully boys) being so close in age, since Colt is only 13 months right now, but that was not meant to be either.  We then proceeded to see the genetic counselor, who pretty much restated exactly what the doctor had said. She gave us a book that would help us with the decision we were going to have to make: Carry to term? or Interrupt the Pregnancy? What a horrible 'decision' for a father and mother to have to make about their precious baby, but we had to do it.

We thought the doctor told us during the ultrasound that it could be more dangerous for me to carry this baby, so we were really contemplating all of our options, as neither of us were willing to risk my life. (If you are agnozing over your decision right now, please email me, I know how you feel!) We found out about the condition on Tuesday, and we didn't have an appointment to meet with our doctor until Monday. That week was the most agonizing week of waiting ever!

Finally Monday rolled around and we got to speak to our favorite doctor. (I go to a clinic, so I usually don't see the same doctor twice, but they made an exception for me this time) She was so kind and considerate and she was very straight-forward with her answers to our questions. I love her! I am so sad that she will be finishing her residency before my due date! But with her help, guidance, and knowledge, we decided we would carry our baby for as long as possible. The main reason for this was not for myself, or my own desires to hold my baby (although I am thrilled that that will be a by-product!), but we really want to be able to donate this baby's organs to a baby in need. I know that donation of anencephalic organs is rare, but I also know that it has been done. This is hope enough for me that we can do it too!

It is now a week later and I have gone through some ups and downs along this journey (today I am currently in a valley, which is why I think I decided to start this blog). I have had people say things to me, with the best intentions at heart, that have simply cut me to the core, and I have had people be more encouraging without saying a thing but just giving me a hug. I have had people accuse me of seeking attention throughout this whole thing (true story), and I have had people support me and lift me up when I thought that I could not go on any more. It is awkward being on this side of grief. People don't really know what to say to you, and you don't really know what to say to them. But it's okay, that's how things happen sometimes.

I hope that this blog, as a whole, will be an uplifting and encouraging place for me to tell my story. (I have an actual journal too where I will try to keep my frustrations so that I don't have to blurt them out here to the whole world, lol) I hope that while I am lifted up by getting my story out there, you will be lifted up by hearing it. If you have any questions about our journey, or about anencephaly, I would be more than happy to tell you everything that I know. For me, talking about it is very cathartic. I love it. I would much rather talk about it to a complete stranger, than to sit there and pretend that I'm getting a big belly and my baby is perfectly normal. Might sound weird, but that wouldn't be the first time someone thought that about me. :) Email me anytime! Jennymcginnis31@gmail.com

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you started a blog, Jenny! It's going to be therapeutic for you and will no doubt help others families walking a similar journey.

    I look forward to following along :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :-) I do enjoy talking about it. Well, I'm not sure 'enjoy' is the right word, but it really helps. And I'm really hoping to reach others through this whole thing, that is my main goal. Thank you for always being so encouraging to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jenny, I had been seeing all of these uplifting comments on your facebook and didn't know what was going on. So I stalked you a little ;)...and figured it out and found your blog. I am extremely encouraged by your faith and your ability to still have joy even in such hard circumstances. I will be continually praying for you and your little baby. :) For the time that I was going to BBC you were always incredibly joyful and I will always remember that about you. Even if you were making fun of me for something lol. I always enjoyed being around you. Thank you for being an awesome example of a faithful woman of God. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your sweet words :-) I am sure that I am not nearly as faithful and strong as I seem, or that God wants me to be, but I'm thankful that the Lord has seen it fit to use me through this situation. I hope all is well with you Eleanor, you were always such a sweet sweet girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny,

    I heard about your recent news via facebook. We went to high school together. I've prayed for you and your baby since hearing the news. I wanted to share a few blogs with you. This baby Joshua was born with an encephalocele around the same time that I had my son 4 years ago. I followed her pregnancy and his birth and watched with bated breath through her blog. He lived 62 days and when he passed, I cried for days. I know it's not the same condition but it's very similar and is also a neural tube defect. This is my friend Marie's blog and her son also had the encephalocele. http://elijahnathanieldouglas.blogspot.com/ I encourage you to get to know these ladies since they went through something similar. They're truly wonderful people. I am incredibly sorry that you're going through this and will continue to pray for your family.

    ReplyDelete